Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Earthquake

Horrible news came yesterday. An earthquake in Haiti. A huge one in Port-au-Prince that basically leveled the whole city. Port-au-Prince is a couple hours south of Ft. Liberte, where I've been on several mission trips. No one I know was harmed or killed...but the devastation that the people there are going through is more than I can wrap my mind around. How can you deal with that much destruction amidst that much poverty? Why did this happen? It makes my head spin. I feel like the biggest creep, sitting here comfortably at my computer. I want to get down there and deal with this with them. I feel so useless. I can't imagine what they must be feeling...




CNN report: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/13/haiti.earthquake/index.html

WAYS TO HELP...
A number of organizations are taking donations for relief funds. This site has a pretty good list of options for giving...
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/kindness/post/2010/01/how-to-help-victims-of-the-haiti-earthquake/1

You can also text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to the American Red Cross relief efforts. Or text Yele to 501 501 to donate $5.

The organization that I work with in Haiti, The Friends of Ft. Liberte, is also putting together an Earthquake Relef Fund. You can donate through them here: http://haitifriends.tumblr.com/

That's all I've got for now. I'm heartbroken. I know most of you who read my blog probably already know all of this info, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway. Maybe it will help.

Pray constantly for these sweet people.

No comments: